Thursday, October 15, 2009

THE SWEETEST OF POTATOES

About every other week I will buy a lone sweet potato for all the right reasons. It is a great source of Vitamin A and Beta Carotene, has a good amount of fiber, and is one of the most nutritional vegetables.

Deep down the reason is a pure guilty pleasure because I love potatoes and the orange color really makes me happy. I have always had an obsession with real potatoes that are dirty, heavy and solid. Unfortunately for me, my body does not love the potato as much as my taste buds. It turns out that I am sensitive to nightshade plants and end up with a nerve irritation that causes uncontrollable hiccups. Luckily for me the SP is in the morning glory family which means I can eat as much as I would like.

For over thirty years I had such distaste for the intense sweet flavor in the SP. The bulk of the blame rests on the following dishes of Thanksgiving; SP Pie, Candied SP’s and the ever too sugary SP Marshmallow Casserole.

A few years ago I started to try and add a bit more SP into my cooking such as adding a bit to mashed potatoes, putting small bites in a soup and adding into baked casseroles. I started to develop a real taste for the SP when sugar was not being added and started actually reducing the amount of white potatoes in my dishes. When I started to not be able to eat our Idaho Potatoes (and yes, while in Idaho I threw complete caution to the wind) I actually realized that I could substitute the workhorse SP for most of the potato dishes I loved.

I have made Sweet Potato Salad, Sweet Potato Chowder, Baked Sweet Potatoes, and Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes and enjoyed them all. My two quick and easy recipes to make are Sweet Potato Fries and Sweet Potato Hash browns. They are both made within 40 minutes from peeling to eating, are low in fat and super delicious.

Maryland Sweet Potato Fries
• 1 sweet potato
• Cooking Spray
• Sea or Himalayan Salt
• Old Bay Seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Peel Sweet Potato and use a Mandolin in order to easily create “fries” style julienned pieces.
3. Place on Baking sheet with a silpat or foil.
4. Spray with cooking spray and then toss with salt and old bay seasoning.
5. Place in oven for 35 minutes (flip sweet potatoes half way through and apply more Old Bay.
6. Remove and eat while still warm.
Note: as an additional treat, I like to make and Old Bay Dip with ¼ low fat may and ¾ non fat sour cream, and as much old bay stirred in as you like.


Hash Browns
• 1 Large Sweet Potato, shredded
• 1 Medium Onion, diced
• 1 tablespoon butter, halved
• Salt, to taste
• Pepper, to taste

1. In a large skillet, heat half of the butter over medium heat.
2. Add in diced onions, and sauté until slightly translucent, about five minutes.
3. Add in sweet potato, salt and pepper, and top with remaining butter.
4. Combine all ingredients in pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Flip over potatoes and cook for an additional ten to 15 minutes un

No comments: