Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How to Begin

I imagine that the best way to begin a blog is to let people know what to expect from this site. Just as soon as I figure that out, I promise to fill you in on my purpose and aim. I have recently entered a crossroads in my life, which is where you can see doors being slammed in your face, or doors being left ajar for you to crash them open. I choose to see the doors in front of me opening up and allowing me to make changes in my life, do the things I have always wanted to do, or just allowing for real adventure. I am just about to go to my twentieth high school reunion, which is going to be the same exact day as when I am supposed to be laid off. I can only imagine the interesting answers for what I do that I will come up with. I am choosing to see all of this as one great journey to what I will be when I finally get around to growing up.

One of my favorite first date questions to ask is, "What would be your dream job?" I find that the answer tells you a lot about a person without having to prove too much. When I am asked that question, I never hesitate with the answer that I would be a travel writer who focuses on the local foods, dishes and flavors of an area while providing my own photographs. The thing that has always stopped me from trying is that I have no real confidence in my writing and I have mad food allergies to things that restaurants love to cook. Imagine writing about all the great food in Baja California while not being able to have the fish tacos, fresh squid and tomatoes.

My real loves of life (besides people) are all tangible things that make me feel grounded and accomplished in my life. My first love is food in the ways it grows, comes to our kitchens, is prepared and how it tastes. The second love is photography that I use as a record of a moment or time and also as my developing art. Traveling is always my expensive love because there are so many places in this world that I want to feel, see, taste and touch. Traveling expands your mind, outlook and understanding of cultural differences. My last real love is to get out and experience nature through a walk, a picnic or kayaking. This is what gives me a sense of balance and I consider the greatness of nature to be my personal church.

I would like to use this blog to talk about my loves and share them with you. I tend to travel and go on quick trips and hope that you enjoy my adventures. Please be patient with me as I develop this blog and my own talents.

No comments: